Life in China
- Food in China
- We've had some amazing food here in China.
Rat – bony, but the leg is okay. Squirrel – highly recommended. Dog – a bit fatty.
40 types of Fungus – tasty, but they smell vaguely of their origins
(avoid the chicken liver fungus). <read more>
- Qujing Tourism?
- The first night we were in Qujing, we were told the cave they wanted us to
explore was flooded (bummer) and there were no other caves nearby
(further bummer), but would we like to see some pictures of the entrance? <read more>
Caving in China
- TV "Shows"
- A major feature of our time in Leye when we weren't exploring caves or supervising ropework was the "shows" we were frequently asked to put on. The idea behind these was that we would set up an abseil somewhere impressive and then people would film us ... <read more>
- Monkeys and Magic Men
- .I took another long and, I hoped, appreciative-looking drag on the Chinese
cigarette I'd been given--my fourth that morning. To my left,
Anthony was doing the same ... we'd been convinced by other expedition members
that refusing smokes would offend our hosts, who we hoped could tell us about cave
entrances. So for the good of the expedition we were doing our best impressions of chimneys. ... <read more>
- Da Dong (The rather un-original but accurately named "BIG CAVE")
- ... What I had thought was a corner was in fact an immense junction. I forded the river that
had swollen to more than twice the size of the original and chose a survey station.
Looking downstream into the inky blackness I reveled in the sudden drug like rush that
once again began pounding through my veins causing the hairs on the back of my neck
to stand on end. ... <read more>